Gillian Updates

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Older Update that didn't get posted

This post didn't make it until today.. we've been busy.

Todd


_____________________
Gilliean Update

First, thank all of you for your continual prayers and thoughts for our family over the past few months. All three of us are doing very well. Christy is going to get out of bed this morning, Gilliean did very well during her surgery yesterday, and I am doing my best to enjoy being Gilliean's daddy.

So here is the recap of the past two days. We arrived at UCSF on Tuesday morning at 10:00 to prep for the 1:00 c-section. UCSF had thee emergency procedures that needed to happen before Christy's c-section and because of this, the UCSF team decided to wait until Wednesday morning. So promptly at 8:30 Christy way prepped for surgery and was walking down the hall when they turned her back because of another emergency. Do you see a pattern here? A few minutes later, the OR was ready for Christy. We provided the traditional elbow-elbow-wrist-wrist Ms. America wave to Christy as she headed into the OR. There were some challenges in getting the epidural & spinal placed and while I waited outside, it seemed to take forever. There was some discussion that the surgery had started without me, but that was not the case.

I managed to make it through the surgery without passing out. I was able to record some of the audio from the delivery including Gilliean's first cries. I don't remember the names of all of the Doctors in the OR but I must say they were very friendly and accommodating throughout the surgery. One of the docs took tons of pictures for us while we talked at length with the others about many things including good local eateries, the lack of power tools in the OR, and that we didn't want any junior mints to be spilled into Christy. I was given the opportunity to cut the cord. However, I know my limits and kindly told the OR team that unless they wanted to deal with a passed out father, I would pass on their offer. I then proceeded to walk back around the OR and sit down on my designated daddy stool. The anesthesiologist was Dr. Ben Paul. He was very pleased that I was wearing teva sandals in the OR.

We gave Gilliean a chance to rest and about an hour later Christy's parents and I paid her a visit in the ICN (intensive care newborn). Several people have asked about her 'painted nails'. I don't know why they appear to be painted red, but we will find out.

Later that day, we had the chance to walk Gillie down from the ICN to the OR for her surgery. We were told the procedure would take around two hours. The surgery started at around 4:00 and by 5:50 the Neurosurgeon was up in Christy's room giving us an update on how well the surgery went. From his point of view, things went as planned and there we no complications. We then went back to the patient elevator to wait for Gillie to come back to the ICN. We took a couple of pictures as she was moved back to into the ICN.

We were lucky enough to have David and Alyssa Forester (hope I spelled her name right...) drop by to visit. David is in dental school here in SF and his wife is in nursing school as well. We hadn't seen David in years and I don't think we had ever met his wife. BTW, she is running her first marathon this weekend in San Diego so keep her in your prayers as well. I took them into the ICN to meet Gilliean. Gillie was very still and peaceful when we saw her. She was laying on her belly and we heard a few little snores. How beautiful.

We haven't gone to see Gilliean this morning. Christy is going to get out of bed and we will see how things progress. I would venture to guess that there will be a morning visit to the ICN.

Thanks again for all of your prayers and support,

Todd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home